Friday, July 25, 2014

Is 1 Truly 2 Many ?

Training camp is on and popping for my New York Football Giants which means NFL kick off is a heartbeat away! I've been jealous of living vicariously through my New York brethren on Facebook who have been attending training camp and posting lots of great pictures. I must admit being able to pull up Giants.com to see videos, photos, and hear commentary of what's happening during training camp still amazes me! It's like I'm right there, but I'm really not, yet I feel so connected. Please remember I'm a 28 year displaced fan, so the leaps in bounds in technology is a beautiful thing!

So I'm feeling all these warm fuzzies because my Gmen are officially balling as they prepare for the "Drive for 5". Then I pull up my twitter page to update information on my fundraiser, #miles4change, and see a link that leads me to an article on the Ray Rice two game suspension. Needless to say my training camp high was completely squashed by a flood of emotions topped off with "are you serious" and "what in the world".

1 is 2 Many: PSA

Maybe I'm the only one who remembers the "1 is 2 Many" White House PSA launched by President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden with the help of some of the greatest professional athletes on the planet in 2012. Of course I would remember because my quarterback, Eli Manning, represented the NFL. I'm going to break this PSA down, then explain why I was deeply bothered by the suspension decision handed down to Ray Rice.

1. Eight seconds into the video the statement is made that "No one should ever hit a woman".

The public needs to make sure the message we send in media, all forms of media, is the standard we are working to achieve. For example, there are memes out there right now that clown the two game suspension against Rice as being a slap on the wrist and pokes fun at his abusive behavior, yet on the other hand memes are floating around that pokes fun at Jay-Z for not retaliating when his sister-in-law was assaulting him on an elevator. So I'm confused as to which way we play it. We ridicule the man who hits back, then we ridicule the man who falls back and controls himself. Please remember all this stuff plays out in front of our kids as much as it does in front of our eyes.


2. The PSA states "No woman should have to fear violence. Especially not from someone they know and trust. But that’s the reality for too many women. We have to change it"

Let me first agree, yes, we all only know what the surveillance camera footage showed us. We don't see what started the altercation in the Rice situation. I am a firm believer in keeping hands off each other period regardless of gender, but I respect a man who will attempt to restrain himself ,and her, if dealing with a woman who strikes first. Honestly, this probably wasn't their first run in of this nature, this one just happened to be out in the public. Yes, I know I'm speculating, but it's my blog and my opinion doesn't affect one iota of their lives. The bottom line is we train men to keep their hands off women and it should be vice-versa. Yet there are many women who do not strike first or even strike back and are subject to violent acts by someone they love and trust.


3. Vice President Joe Biden states "The worst abuse of power is when a man raises his hand to hurt a woman. We all have to take responsibility. So if you see someone threatening a woman step up, speak out, and get help."

Let's really think about this,VP Biden said "we" need to take responsibility. Did the NFL step up and take responsibility in the decision that was made? It makes absolutely no sense when people reference past suspensions that came from performance enhancing drugs or bad hits on the field and compare it to the Rice situation. The point was made that PEDs affect the integrity of the game because it can affect outcomes in regards to wins. I understand that, but how does misbehavior that affect the integrity of your shield and brand not also be given a stiffer consequence. Now, I do realize there are other factors that come into play regarding these suspensions. But the league has committed itself publicly to standing against violence against women in all forms and wanting to be apart of the solution. My quarterback ,Eli Manning ,spun the NFL regulation football as all the men declared that , "One is too many".


Here's my take as a 28 year bleeding blue through and through female fan. The league dropped the ball in this decision, as it has in past instances of domestic violence against women at the hands of players. Yet, the public and media has done the same. In the post Vick dogfighting era, it was sickening to see how much press was still given to his transgressions even though his punishment was handed down and was served. Seasons later when no new occurrences had taken place and he didn't slip back into his former ways, a vast majority of the public still wouldn't let it go. Which bewilders me to how we hear instance after instance about domestic violence against women, yet with each story shake our heads and shrug it off. So I guess the real question is, when will we wake up? When will we hold the league responsible for delivering what they have promised. If you are truly standing for change, then let your actions and decisions promote it.


The training camp buzz hasn't returned yet because domestic violence issues really bother me beyond football. It's hard for the adults involved but also for the children who watch these acts played out. As an educator that disturbs me and as an NFL fan the fact that the league and the vast segment of the public attempts to downplay violent acts against women disturbs me even more. History has taught that what we won't address head on will only continue to grow. I just hope that in the future, the NFL will be careful what pledges it takes publicly, because there are people who expect them to make decisions that uphold it. Well, Happy 41 or so days to kick off...


Transcript from the "1 is 2 Many PSA": Source of transcript


Hey Everybody Listen up, listen up guys, listen up. No one should ever hit a woman. Not their wife, not their girlfriend, not their date. No woman should have to fear violence. Especially not from someone they know and trust. But that’s the reality for too many women. We have to change it. It’s up to each of us because even 1 is too many. Violence against women hurts all of us. Growing up I was ashamed and afraid of my father when he abused my mom. The worst abuse of power is when a man raises his hand to hurt a woman. We all have to take responsibility. So if you see someone threatening a woman step up, speak out, and get help. Dating violence hurts all of us so step up and help out because 1 is too many. One is too many. One is too many. One is too many. End the violence because it’s wrong. Because one, one is too many.

No comments:

Post a Comment