Friday, July 6, 2012

It Don't Mean A Thing If He Ain't Got A Ring...

There is a particular quote that has thrown Giants Nation into a ranting, cussing tizzy today and made me  a little warm around the collar. First you must understand two major points:

1. I am a Manning fan and stan who is very impressed with how my quarterback carries himself in the midst of doubters and second guessers. He shows them better than he tells them.

2. I hate the Dallas Cowboys with a passion! The only thing as good as a Giants win in my book, is a Cowboys loss any given Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night! The loss we served them up in January was oh so sweet!




With that being said let's get back to the root of the drama.The quote that had all the of the New York Giants groups I'm apart of on social media heated and ready to grab the torches and pitch forks was:

"If I wanted a guy that is going to throw less interceptions and be more productive, higher completion percentage, I'm going to go with Tony Romo." -- Ex New York Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer 

Most were upset and felt here we go again, another former Gmen takes a "hit" on the team. So I went to  ESPN NFL and read the article. Keeping in mind the media will turn a statement inside out and dangle it on its ear. I checked a few other sites also, and it basically was what it was. So the next thing I did, because it's summer break and I have time on my hand, was check the stats. Now I will admit, I am not big on stats and this post will prove why.  I looked up the numbers and found the following:
1. Manning's career completion percentage is about 58%    
    Romo's career completion percentage is about 64%
2. In Manning's career he has had 129 interceptions
    In Romo's career he has had 72 interceptions
based on ESPN's NFL player stats

So back to the quote, if you wanted a guy with a better completion percentage and who had thrown less interceptions, Romo is definitely your man. On the other hand if you want a guy who puts the "utch" in clutch in the fourth quarter, has led his team to the Super Bowl twice in less than a decade and won against the "Almighty" Patriots both times, then Manning would be your man. This is why stats don't really impress me. Romo has better stats in those areas but no Super Bowl rings, Manning has two.  Team sports are made up of the whole not just the certain pieces.


So based on the factors he was using, Toomer actually has a case for the above quote. On the other hand we Giants fans realize that numbers always work against the Gmen in the media and for them on the field. Just another chip that needs to be knocked off and a quarterback that needs to be knocked out ( meaning off his feet repeatedly of course). I believe this season opener is going to be epic! Go Big Blue!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment